Sunday, September 13, 2015

Family Tree - maternal grandmother (5 generations)

This is part of the family tree that has been the most work.  There are still some unverified links here... the DNA tests have both helped and confused things.


Proving that my grandmother Teresa was actually born as Ethelyn Allen was the primary aim of the DNA test, and I believe that was a success:
1) DNA indicates a connection to the Allens of New Kent County, Virginia.  
2) Augustus Dozier Allen's father is from Virginia according to census documents.  
3) Dozier is a family name linked to my tree, further proof that Augustus Dozier Allen in my great grandfather.  
4) Augustus Allen's only daughter was named Ethelyn; therefore, she has to be my grandmother.


There is some question still about who Eliza Ann Applegate's parents are.  There are an unbelievable number of Eliza Applegates from Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois! She is definitely listed on a U. S. Census document in the household of "Tabitha" Applegate; however, there is another Eliza Applegate who is the daughter of Samuel and Cassandra Newkirk. This would not seem to be the correct Eliza, except that the Newkirks have shown up in my DNA test results.  I am still scratching my head over that one.

Interesting to note here that my grandmother was born in Illinois, grew up in Wichita, and lived in an orphanage in Texas.  But both her mother and father's families originated in Virginia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your helpful comments and feedback!