Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Family Tree - 5 generations

Here are five generations of my family tree, as accurate as I have been able to prove thus far.  I printed this basic tree from Ancestry.com, but on the actual website, you can see all the documentation and photos that I have accumulated on each person.  Each one has a unique story to tell!  I am 100% sure of the identities of all but two of these folks.  Sadie Wright and Elizabeth Highland, both 2X great grandmothers, have precious little information available, either in family documents or online.  Their names are about all that could be found.

I hope this is readable - it was hard to get a scanned copy to fit this space.

I took an online course to be able to better understand the DNA test results. It made me realize that more of our family members should get tested in order to more fully prove my genealogy research!  I thought that siblings had nearly identical DNA, but that is not true at all.  My sister and I each got different pieces of our parents' DNA; therefore, she may have gotten pieces of DNA from an ancestor that I did not.  I also learned that cousins, up to 4th cousins, almost certainly share at least some DNA.  On the other hand, I could be cousins with someone who shares absolutely no DNA at all with me, but we could both be linked by DNA to a different cousin who shares our same ancestor.  This gets very complicated, as you can imagine.


1 comment:

  1. Please check out the Hanover County VA DNA Project at this link https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/hanover-county-va/about/background Please let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your helpful comments and feedback!