Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Results are In

Up until now, all of my research had been through various written sources, most of which has the potential to be misleading and laden with human error. 

Today, I got the results of my DNA test which will prove (or disprove) my research ABSOLUTELY and SCIENTIFICALLY.  I am nervous to open it.  I am overwhelmed at the thought of what I might find.  I wonder if I even have the capacity to comprehend it all.  I am afraid that I will be opening a can of worms that will take over my life.


The first part of the DNA results is easy to understand.  The Ethnicity estimate holds no surprises...99% European. Here is the more detailed breakdown:



The second part of the results is the overwhelming part. I have hundreds of new cousins with whom I share a significant amount of DNA. I can click on each of these new cousins to find out what surnames are common with my family tree, and which ones have common ancestors. I can even contact the cousin to share information.

I decided to click on each cousin's record to briefly scan over the surnames looking for the ones that are familiar to me. I barely even started going through the list when I came across the names that I was hoping to find, proving a biological connection to my maternal grandmother's parents. I think I will stop there for now.

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! It will be fun to see the family tree open up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your helpful comments and feedback!