When I began doing research on my family tree, I wondered if I would find any shocking surprises like being cousins with my spouse or something. I actually did find a distant connection, both by surname and geographical location...but there was no accidental inbreeding as I feared!
I love finding unexpected connections. I discovered that direct ancestors of both of my parents certainly knew each other back in 1652. My paternal 9th great grandfather Thomas Judd was one of the seven founders of the Church of Christ in Farmington, Connecticut, and was a pillar in the church until his death in 1688. His children and grandchildren were baptized there. My maternal 8th great grandparents, Samuel Hickok (distant cousin of Wild Bill) and his wife Hannah, were members of the congregation at the same time and their children were also baptized in that church. There were only 84 proprietors of the town of Farmington at that time, so it was highly likely they knew each other well.
Also in the 1600's, two of my mother's maternal and paternal lines were entangled together in Gravesend, NY. Thomas Applegate, my 8th great grandfather, came to America from Norfolkshire, England with his wife, Elizabeth. It seems that Thomas and wife both had issues with fiery tempers and loose tongues! Elizabeth was "censured to stand with her tongue in a cleft stick for swearing, reviling, and railing." Thomas was sued for slander by my 8th great grandfather Nicholas Stillwell, who was from a completely different branch of my mother's tree. (Historical and Genealogical Miscellany: Early Settlers of New Jersey and Their Descendants, Vol. III, by John E. Stillwell, M.D.).
General Custer keeps popping up in our family stories on both of my mother's maternal and paternal lines. My grandfather's mother, Ada Hall, was teaching school in Fort Lincoln, Dakota Territory, in 1876 when Custer left with his Cavalry for the Little Big Horn. She wrote that she let her students out of class to watch the men leave. Coincidentally, my grandmother's mother, Eva Allen, died in 1911 at Old Fort Supply, a residential hospital that was a former post for Lt. Col. Custer and the 7th U.S. Cavalry in 1868.
These are the stories that keep me addicted to genealogy!
1) Ada C Crofford, Fort Lincoln, Dakota Territory, 1876.
2) Anna Lyons Crofford, Liberty Township, Indiana, 1837.
Each began the first school in her territory.
![]() |
| Custer House at Fort Lincoln |
Gen. Custer appears in the unrelated stories of both of my maternal grandparents:
1) Ada Crofford, my grandfather's mother (mentioned above), was friends with Mrs. Custer and was teaching school in Fort Lincoln when Custer left for the Little Big Horn.
2) Eva L. Allen, my grandmother's mother, resided in a mental hospital in Oklahoma that was a former "Camp of Supply" from which Custer left to fight the Cheyenne Indians at the Battle of Washita.
I find this kind of thing fascinating.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I welcome your helpful comments and feedback!